If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (248) 427-1500

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Cleaning Up Mold in the Basement

9/8/2022 (Permalink)

Bathroom with "your nose can detect water damage" Your nose knows. One of the first indicators that mold or water damage is present is a musty or stale smell. Contact SERVPRO for restoration help.

Basements have the possibility of water seeping in from outside. Many homeowners use their unfinished basements for storage.  Basements provide some of the most ideal conditions for mold to form.  They are cool, damp, and dark. When ugly stains appear on the lower portion of a foundation wall it could be a sign of larger problems. 

As seen in this before and after, dark black/gray stains are a sign of mold.  Mold typically thrives in damp, humid areas. If you suspect mold in your basement, the first step is to identify and correct the source of the water problem. If you have mold in an area in your basement that is larger than 10 square feet, you should not attempt to clean it up yourself. The best way to remove mold is to call SERVPRO to inspect the area and develop a plan of action to remove the mold safely.

What to Do:

What Not to Do:

  • Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
  • Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
  • Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
  • Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.

If you have any questions about Mold, do not hesitate to Contact Us directly. 

Other News

View Recent Posts